Sunday, October 14, 2007

Kaleo Ministry

Greetings from the pro surfer!
haha yes, we did get to go surfing this past week, Monday until Wednesday. It was super amazing, even with the storm that moved through on Tuesday that didn't let us surf. Altogether we only had a few hours of surfing time on the Monday (and yes, I did manage to stand up...once), but we had a great time camping and bonding, playing games on the beach and finally being able to sleep in!
This week in ministry was a busy one with Junior youth on Wednesday, and Senior youth on Friday. One of the things that our youth pastor, Steve, is trying to do is incorporate secular movies or tv shows that we can draw morals out from - it helps keep the kids interested and focussed for that time. For junior youth we watched an episode of the Simpsons and focussed on family for the discussion. It was amazing when Steve asked what a normal family looked like, how different their answers were than what I'm used to back home. Normally there isn't a father figure present, and there's chaos everywhere. That was definately an eye opener to what these kids have been through.
In the Senior youth, we watched a short scene from the newest version of Batman and focussed on how our actions show who we truly are. In the discussion group, only three or four of the group had ever heard of Camp Qwanoes, and practically none of them had been to church. The discussion went fairly well, I didn't lead it, I was pretty much watching and learning how to draw them in. Relationships are being built, I'm starting to remember some names, and I even saw a couple of them at church today!
Once again thanks for the prayers, and specifically if you could pray for me as I try to interact with them and make them curious about learning more. Also for the problem kids, that they would settle down and enjoy the nights. Thanks guys!

No comments: